B.A. FilmMiddlesex University Dubai
Middlesex University is a dynamic university with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research.
|Delivery Mode||On Campus|
|Study Option||Full Time|
|Tuition Fee||$ 40837|
|Start Date||September 2016|
Whether you are an aspiring Filmmaker, Screenwriter, Film Researcher or Critic, our BA Honours Film is a single flexible degree course that meets the interests and ambitions of a wide variety of students united by a passion for film. At Middlesex we offer a unique degree experience in Film, not only because the course is designed to be flexible, accommodating very different kinds of film students, but also because it encourages, indeed requires, collaboration between students with different interests, skills and knowledge, which is great preparation for working professionally in the film industry. You will be part of a great community of people striving to be the best and to develop their passion for film.
Why study BA Honours Film
- Our facilities allow you to familiarise yourself with equipment and learn a wide range of practical skills from pre-production to post-production
- You will be taught by professional producers, directors and screenwriters with expertise in areas including experimental filmmaking, corporate filmmaking and drama
- You will learn from guest speakers from the industry
- Our excellent relationship with the film festivals, such as the Dubai Film Festival will allow you to participate in competitions related to a wide range of film activities. It also offers opportunities for internships and networking with professionals in the industry.
We accept students with a diverse range of entry qualifications and from varying backgrounds. The following qualifications are normally considered for admission into undergraduate programmes:
- Successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)* (equivalent programmes from other Universities/Colleges/Institutes will be considered).
- British National Curriculum (GCSE): We normally make offers on 280 UCAS tariff points,2 academic subjects at A-Level with grade “C” or above along with at least 5 subjects at O-Levels, anything below 160 UCAS tariff points will not be considered.
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards may be considered: minimum grade of 55% overall
- International Baccalaureate: completion of IB diploma with 24 points overall
- Pakistani National Curriculum: completion of Year 1 at a recognised post-secondary institution (university/college). Candidates that have successfully completed FSC/HSC are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- Iranian Pre-University Certificate: minimum overall grade of 12. Students completing the High School Diploma are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- Nigerian Senior School Leaving Certificate: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- West African GCE: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- BTEC Level 3 qualification may be considered for direct entry into an undergraduate programme.
English Language Requirements (Undergraduate)
All programmes at Middlesex University Dubai are taught in English and applicants with previous education outside of English-speaking countries (such as the UK, the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand), must demonstrate English language proficiency as follows:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic exam ONLY): Overall: 6.0
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Academic: 51, General: Level 3.
Minimum score required for Undergraduate : 72 (with at least 17 in listening & writing, 20 in speaking and 18 in reading)
Additionally, students with the following qualifications may be considered as having met the English language requirements:
- British National Curriculum (GCSE): grade “C” or higher in English at O-Level/AS-Level/ A-level
- International Baccalaureate: English A1 or A2 (Standard or Higher Level) – minimum grade 4; English B (Higher Level) – minimum grade 4; English B (Standard Level) – minimum grade 5.
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards: minimum grade of 70% in English
- West African/Nigerian Curriculum: WAEC/WASSCE/SSSCE English – minimum grade “C6“
Half of your first year of study is dedicated to practical filmmaking and you will learn the foundations of film production and post production. The other half of your first year studies focuses equally on storytelling for screen narratives and film analysis. Half of your second year is dedicated to producing and directing, looking at all stages in the filmmaking process from conception and development to post production. In your final year, you will choose your own film dissertation project. The scope for this project is very broad so you can develop a practical or theory-based film project in any area that excites you. You will also look at film theory and research in more detail, as preparation for your film dissertation. You will also benefit from wider preparation for employment in the film industry, including gaining a greater understanding of finance, distribution and marketing.
For more details on Academic Calendar , click here http://www.mdx.ac.ae/life-at-university/academic-calendar
Storytelling for the Screen (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Production Theory and Practice 2 (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Film Language and Production 1 (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Communicating in Film: Styles and Movements (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Film and Innovation (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Screenwriting: The Short Film (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Producing and Directing: Film Form and Practice (60 Credits) - Compulsory
Film Theory (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Film Research and Context (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Film Dissertation Project (60 Credits) - Compulsory