B.Eng. Computer EngineeringMiddlesex University Dubai
Middlesex University is a dynamic university with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research.
|Delivery Mode||On Campus|
|Study Option||Full Time|
|Tuition Fee||$ 40837|
|Start Date||September 2016|
The field of computer systems is one of the fastest growing fields of engineering and one that has a very visible impact on modern life. Our course opens the door to a career in computing wherever digital, mobile or network systems are involved.
Traditional computer systems engineering focuses on the engineering and integration of hardware and software systems which fulfill useful purposes. For example accessing video-on-demand, music and live TV coverage, as data can be distributed across the globe.
Now, with the rise of cloud computing and the latest generation of large-scale networked systems, computer systems engineering is at the cutting edge of a range of technological developments.
- Multidisciplinary course.
- Practical hands-on experiments in our modern labs will be used to illustrate the application of theory and concepts in our state-of-the-art labs.
- You will gain practical competencies in computer communication systems and computer networks
- Enrollment into the CISCO academy and opportunity to complete CCNA course
- Students develop project management skills related to Engineering and computer networks projects, and have an opportunity to implement these skills in their final year project
- Students develop a core set of transferable technical skills as well as a strong background in professional ethics.
- Career coaching available through the Careers and Employability Service.
- Option to transfer to London campus.
Why Study BEng Honours Computer Systems Engineering?
A BEng degree is a basis for a wide range of Engineering based careers. Our pioneering and specialist Computer Systems Engineering degree prepares you for entry into an exciting career. You will be taught by experts in the field in high-tech labs and have access to specialist equipment. You will be part of a well-resourced department and study among like-minded and ambitious students.
We accept students with a diverse range of entry qualifications and from varying backgrounds. The following qualifications are normally considered for admission into undergraduate programmes:
- Successful completion of the Middlesex University International Foundation Programme (IFP)* (equivalent programmes from other Universities/Colleges/Institutes will be considered).
- British National Curriculum (GCSE): We normally make offers on 280 UCAS tariff points,2 academic subjects at A-Level with grade “C” or above along with at least 5 subjects at O-Levels, anything below 160 UCAS tariff points will not be considered.
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards may be considered: minimum grade of 55% overall
- International Baccalaureate: completion of IB diploma with 24 points overall
- Pakistani National Curriculum: completion of Year 1 at a recognised post-secondary institution (university/college). Candidates that have successfully completed FSC/HSC are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- Iranian Pre-University Certificate: minimum overall grade of 12. Students completing the High School Diploma are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- Nigerian Senior School Leaving Certificate: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- National Curriculum of the countries of Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- West African GCE: Candidates are admitted to the International Foundation Programme (IFP)*
- BTEC Level 3 qualification may be considered for direct entry into an undergraduate programme.
English Language Requirements (Undergraduate)
All programmes at Middlesex University Dubai are taught in English and applicants with previous education outside of English-speaking countries (such as the UK, the United States, Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand), must demonstrate English language proficiency as follows:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic exam ONLY): Overall: 6.0
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Academic: 51, General: Level 3.
Minimum score required for Undergraduate : 72 (with at least 17 in listening & writing, 20 in speaking and 18 in reading)
Additionally, students with the following qualifications may be considered as having met the English language requirements:
- British National Curriculum (GCSE): grade “C” or higher in English at O-Level/AS-Level/ A-level
- International Baccalaureate: English A1 or A2 (Standard or Higher Level) – minimum grade 4; English B (Higher Level) – minimum grade 4; English B (Standard Level) – minimum grade 5.
- Indian Secondary School Certificates issued by the CBSE/ISC boards/NIOS/All state boards: minimum grade of 70% in English
- West African/Nigerian Curriculum: WAEC/WASSCE/SSSCE English – minimum grade “C6“
You will study core modules such as Computer networks, fundamentals of STEM, Data communications, Digital Communications and Systems, Software Engineering, Internet scale and real time systems development.
The course will focus on the design of systems and services such as the use of cloud computing technology for data storage and distribution, or the provision of new forms of server farms that enable effective, secure and reliable global communications. You will have the opportunity to put what you have learned to practical use and make valuable industry contacts.
Throughout the course you will build your confidence to develop and implement modern technologies relevant to electronic products and systems.
For more details on Academic Calendar, click here http://www.mdx.ac.ae/life-at-university/academic-calendar
Programming for Data Communication and Problem Solving (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Fundamentals of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Computer Systems Architecture and Operating Systems (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Computer Networks (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Research Methodology and Professional Project Development (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Protocols and Network Performance Simulation (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Fundamentals of Computer Systems Engineering (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Engineering Software Development (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Real-time Systems (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Internet Scale Applications and Development (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Individual Project (30 Credits) - Compulsory
Computer Architecture and Operating Systems (30 Credits) - Compulsory