B.Sc. International RelationsEastern Mediterranean University
Having been providing higher education in TRNC since 1979 with all programs accredited by the Turkish Higher Education Council (YK).
|Delivery Mode||On Campus|
|Study Option||Full Time|
|Tuition Fee||₦ 4082.48|
|Start Date||September 2016|
The Department of International Relations prepares students to understand and contribute to a fast changing and dynamic world. The International Relations undergraduate program is designed to equip our students with the knowledge and applicable skills that will serve them and their communities. Our department also strives to contribute to the wider academic community through original research and publication.
International Relations program is designed in such a way that it provides the foundation for students to think theoretically and practically. The curriculum includes a wide spectrum of courses including international relations theory, international political economy, international law, international security, foreign policy analysis and area studies. Globalization, supranational integration and disintegration are common themes, which form the basis of the contemporary debate on world politics. We include many elective courses on the European Union and the Middle East. In conjunction with various centers operating under the Faculty, students can benefit from interaction with renowned scholars and attend international conferences.
An applicant for admission to one of the undergraduate programs of EMU must satisfy the following requirements:
The applicant must submit a certified copy of Higher Secondary School Certificate or Intermediate Certificate or the equivalent, demonstrating that s/he has satisfactorily graduated from secondary school, and must arrange for other relevant certified documents, such as transcripts or detailed mark sheets, to be released to EMU.
Application to Undergraduate Programs
Applications to the undergraduate programs are accepted twice a year.
Accepted Higher School Certificates for undergraduate programs
High School Diploma, Higher Secondary School Certificate, General Certificates of Secondary Education (GCSE), Higher Secondary Certificate, Upper Secondary /Secondary School/ High School/ Senior High School Leaving Certificate, Testimonial, Secondary Education Certificate, Senior School Certificate, Matriculation Examination Certificate, SAT , WAEC , WASSCE , NECO , JAMB, BACCALAUREATE. Not: Standard XII (Grade 12) should have been completed in the relevant countries.
Note: Standard XII (Grade 12) should have been completed in the relevant countries.
Documents Required for Undergraduate Application
- Photocopies of Higher Secondary School Certificate and transcript (mark sheets).
- One passport-sized photograph
- Two letters of reference (one must be academic)
- Evidence of financial guarantee (i.e. a letter from a bank) indicating sufficient funds are available for tuition and living expenses.
- Photocopy of the passport (relevant page) or birth certificate
- A copy of proof of English Proficiency if any
Note: English translations of these documents are necessary if they are in any language other than English
Transfer student applications or associate degree holders
Students who are hold an Associate Degree or a National Diploma can apply as a transfer student to the Bachelor Degree programs of the Eastern Mediterranean University.
The requirements for transfer applications to the Eastern Mediterranean University are as follows.
- Transfer applications should be to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th semesters. Associate Degree or National Diploma holders generally start from the 5th semester.
- Student should not have been dismissed from a University,
- All required modules should have been completed from previous classes.
- CGPA should be minimum 2.00 out of 4.00 or the equivalent.
- Photocopies of Higher Secondary School Certificate / Diploma and Associate Degree or a National Diploma
- Academic record / mark sheets (transcript)
- Short course descriptions
- Passport copy or birth certificate
- One photograph
Note: English translations of these documents are necessary if they are in any language other than English.
English Proficiency Requirement
All applicants for whom English is a second language are required to take EMU English Proficiency Exam, or present documents demonstrating their English proficiency level.
In the first year of the program there are common courses with other programs of the Faculty which are mainly focusing on theoretical information. In general, a semester is evaluated on the basis of term-papers, a mid-term, and a final examination. In the second year, there are projects in addition to courses with theoretical content. In class discussions, students from various countries are encouraged to participate and experience cultures of other nations. With these projects and discussions, students are given an education which aims to prepare the students to compete in international field.
International Relations Program offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees which possess accreditations at the international level.
- An International Relations Club established by the department’s students continues to provide a strong bridge between students and the academic staff. The club also organizes various academic events such as conferences, seminars, field trips and social gatherings.
- Our department offers scholarship opportunities for successful students.
- The Departmental website is regularly updated and designed to provide students with necessary information related to the department and the program as well as the courses taught.
During the first years, the program offers a general educational approach including courses in the areas of sociology, economics and humanities. In the following semesters, area courses which are built on these courses are introduced in the program
Graduates of International Relations find job opportunities in both in the public and private spheres. Some of them have found employment in the diplomatic field as well as in other public services of their home countries. Among our department’s graduates are notables including the TRNC President Mehmet Ali Talat, Albanian Minister of Justice Aldo Bumci and the TRNC Supreme Court of Justice Member Gönül Erönen. Indeed, many of our graduates now work as diplomats and as specialists in both governmental and nongovernmental international organizations. There is no shortage of job opportunities in the private sector. Our graduates have found employment in media, communications and banking sectors.